Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cover Letters-cover all, cover up

I have been thinking about cover letters a lot recently. Probably because I've been writing them a lot lately; and doubtless will continue to do so for the next couple of years.

You'd think this would be an easier task; talk about yourself (such fun, an ego trip). But selling yourself is hard work too. On the one hand you know everything that needs to be there on that page. On the other hand, you need to put everything on one single page. I imagine most of us are complex enough people that a page or two hardly seems space to do oneself justice.

But I guess getting to the point and making it well is the point. As William Safire said of speech making, tell'em what you're going to tell 'em, tell' 'em, then tell 'em what you told 'em. Say what you want, what you want it and why you should have it, sign and send it.

I feel like there's too much to cover; in person I could explain how all my qualities and experiences however disparate make the perfect person for job whatever it is. And make no mistake; in that instant you must be the perfect person for the job. Real world fact; there's always someone who wants it more than you. And its a challenge to be the best for that position at that moment. I have to cover all that ground and make myself the best there can be in a page?!

And to be that best person, it would seem a tad of covering up has to happen as well as covering all the facts. I've applied to jobs that were far from my dream job, but this is not the forum for any scent of uncertainty, or ambition other than what's on the table. At Oberlin all one's interests, assets, pursuits and facets were embraced and encouraged. No one was a one track person it seemed. But that sort of thing doesn't sell; its wishy washy. But on a strange level I feel as though not to share all my myriad interest feels like covering something up.

I guess at the end of the day; its just a letter. It's work, but its not life or death.

No comments: