Monday, October 6, 2008

Real World, Real Words

So, this is not entirely new, but I have found that there are certain frequently used words, or preferred words.

First off in my work-world, often times in official correspondence or phone conversation use the royal 'we.' We'd be delighted to have you come in and meet our staff, and so on. In truth, of course I have no positive way of knowing if others members of the staff will be delighted. They'll be polite, and they probably will be glad because they are nice people, but I couldn't swear to it.

Also, I don't use the word 'suggest,' I use 'encourage.' I encourage you to check out our website for further information, I encourage you to take a look at such and such periodicals.

Other buzz words or phrases include: innovative, insight, welcome your input, value your time, check-in, touch base, connection, communication, confirmation and the biggie 'follow-up.' I love follow-ups. It appeals to the OCD in me; its confirmation, some form of communication, an efficient little touch all rolled into one grown-up thingy.

But with the official jargon, comes the official voice. I'm quite sure that the voice I answer the phone with is nothing like my real voice or speaking patterns. Not to say I'm a total liar on the phone, its just putting my best foot, or best phrasing, forward. You have to be polite and helpful and all that, and somehow the tone comes out a sort of bland, higher register sound. If the different pitches of my voice, depending on mood and setting, were colors, the official work phone voice would undoubtedly be taupe.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

oh, no, if my phone/uber-customer-service voice had a color it would be pink and yellow with daisies and bubbles. It would be every bubble gum commercial you've ever seen mixed with girly rockstar designer perfumes. I am ashamed every time I use it.

Topher said...

Ah, yes. Shawn's phone voice, which is very similar to her jobcom voice (walkie talkie). Though, I'd say her jobcom voice is more rose. As for me, I think my phone voice is just happier than my normal one. I do need to be more imperious though.